17 May 2009

KICKING AROUND THE KOOCANUSA

Here in Northwest Montana we are still trying to get into spring. Having a darned hard time of it too. If you are planning a trip to Glacier I'd hold off on that. Here is a recent photo of Going to the Sun sent to me by my friend Kevin. I think the photographer was one of the road crew.

Glacier Park May 2009

It hasn't been very warm but it's always beautiful here at the ranch. Mother Nature seems to have a choice bit for us nearly everyday. This cloud formation reminds me of some kind of gigantic insect.

KOTY BEAR THEATER

Our western sky is very special and offers a never ending kaleidoscope of color and shape shifting. Below is a sunset we had this week. I love the dark moody colors. They seem to reflect the mood of those of us who are still waiting on spring! :)

KOTY BEAR SUNSET

We took a trip over to Rexford and the Koocanusa this week. There is a nice trail that follows the bluff above the lake all the way to the marina. The view is always lovely, looking north into the distance at the Canadian Rockies in British Columbia. I don't think I have ever seen as much snow this late in the year.

LAKE KOOCANUSA & CANADIAN ROCKIES

I was on the look out for any wildflowers but only came across these two:

OREGON GRAPE


PHLOX

The lake continues to await the run off season so the water level is still quite low. Down at the marina the docks aren't even in the water yet. I reckon marina boaters are getting kind of antsy.

MARINA BUOY SITS IN THE SAND

I'm never near water that I don't try to capture some type of reflection. I just think they are so beautiful and artistic. If I could paint I would want to paint this.

KOOCANUSA REFLECTING

And, of course, Koty was enjoying the day as always. I have never known a creature as happy as this dog. He is nearly ten years old now, I have had him since he was eight weeks. He is now older than I am and still have ten times the energy. I think of him as my fountain of youth. If it weren't for him I'm sure I wouldn't get half the exercise.


KOTY BEAR AT KOOCANUSA

©Kinsey Barnard

3 comments:

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Kinsey! These images are amazing.... Sorry about the snow. We got away so far today with none. It was called for!

futurexboy said...

Some great Photos Kinsey!! I love the dark sunset, its just awesome! The snow is amazing, looks cold, we've had a mix of warm, hot and cold weather here in Arkansas this May, its been cold the last few nights with highs in the days running 70 to 80. It rainned all last week but has dried up this week and is forcast to stay dry this week, thankfully. Again enjoyed the Photos, thanks Kinsey!!

christine said...

i'm certain koty appreciates all the exercise you undertake on his behalf, seeing as he gets some, too. i can barely believe my eyes, looking at that snowy first photo. here it already has 90 degrees most of the days!
thank you for the beautiful pictures. the moody sunset and the giant cloud insect especially. and, of course, the photo of your dashing assistant :)