04 July 2011

Hanging the kayaks - Watching the robins

Sunday July 3, 2011

Today I decided to finally get the cleats screwed into the posts so that I could hang my kayaks. I have rigged up a system whereby I can raise and lower the kayaks by myself. Works pretty slick if I do say so myself.

My kayak hoisting system
The weather has finally warmed up but this morning, from out of the blue, it cooled off and along came a storm. It left in it's wake the biggest, in term of breadth rainbow, I have ever seen!

Summer Rainbow
Later in the afternoon the sun came out and it warmed right up. I took the opportunity to go out and chop some wood. I didn't last very long as the day was too beautiful not to just wander around and drink it all in.

When I returned to the house I thought I should take a few pictures of my resident robins. They are so clever the way they choose their spots to build nests.

Robin's nest with chick built on the head of a hoe. Took that hoe out of commission for awhile. Not complaining though. I'm no fan of hoeing and weeding.

Three robin chicks in their nest built in the rain gutter. Very clever of this mother she built the nest under the eave at the high end so the nest would not get wet from above or from under. Animals are so much smarter than people realize. I am always in wonder of them.


Mother sitting on a fence post opposite the gutter screaming her head off at me. Pardon me momma.

By around seven o'clock it was time to wrap it up for the day. It stays light until past ten these days but I sure don't have what it takes to go until dark.

This last photo is the epitome of the lazy photographer. I was sitting in my recliner looking out the front window when I shot this photo of my tepee down in the meadow. It's a view I just love. Who needs television when you've got this outside your window?

Tepee in the meadow as seen from the recliner. :)
©Kinsey Barnard

2 comments:

Michelle B. Hendry said...

It would seem you live in heaven!

Walker said...

I think I live in the Garden of Eden.