09 November 2014

The Gros Ventre

If you're visiting Tetons National Park, Gros Ventre Road is a drive you don't want to miss. Kinsey ranks it the most scenic we saw. Of course we took it because it leads to the Bridger-Teton National Forest where moi is allowed to romp and roam.

I have been competing for air time with Kinsey's new pet project, loading some of her open stock photography onto a Fine Art America site. She gets a little manic when she gets an new idea and everything else falls through the cracks. Thank goodness the novelty will soon wear off and we can get back to normal.

So, we made it to Jackson Hole and found our campground (see On The road To The Tetons). That night Kinsey got out her new favorite map and plotted the next day's adventure.

She decided on going up Gros Ventre Road because it led into the Bridger-Teton National Forest where I am a welcome visitor. For the first bit you are in the Teton National Park but soon you hit the national forest. We had no particular expectations other than to find a good place to hike. Lucky us, we got much more.

Gros Ventre literally mean potbelly in French. Why they named it that I haven't a clue. I don't think of potbellies as particularly attractive and this drive really was a beauty. Not that I care so much about that sort of thing. But, beautiful scenery makes Kinsey happy so I'm for it.

View of Gros Ventre River looking back at the Tetons
 
 You may recall that one of our earlier hikes was in Red Canyon in the Gallatin National Forest. I mentioned in that post I couldn't figure out why they called it Red Canyon because there was so little red about it. Well, now, this Gros Ventre place they could have called red Canyon. It was the most startling red canyon I've ever seen. I mean it was really, really red and the fall colors made it even more colorful.

Gros Ventre Valley
Kinsey had chosen the trail to Grizzly Lake. It should come as no surprise to regular readers that we never found it. I think we must have gone left when we should have gone right and ended up hiking up the Blue Miner Lake Trail. It's 7.2 miles one way to that lake so lotsa luck us getting to that one.

This would be the long suffering me.

 The truth is as long as I'm free to be me and romp I could care less where we go. I got to do that here so I was a happy camper. Kinsey's like me. As long as she's outdoors in beautiful country she really doesn't care either. We got all that our hearts desired, in spades.

More of the Gros Ventre

 After our hike we went down along the Gros Ventre River to frolic and just enjoy ourselves. This is another place I bet we come back to for some more exploration.

Gros Ventre River Valley & the Tetons

 We really liked this place and recommend you don't miss it if you come to the Tetons. It's a little off the beaten path but that just makes it better. As you might guess, fall is a particularly picturesque time of year to visit.

Ciao for now,
Molly Montana

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments: