02 July 2012

GARDENBURGER UNMASKED

I have written previously in this space how much I enjoy Gardenburgers. It has, for sometime, been one of my favorite breakfasts with fried eggs. I slip the eggs on top of the burger and pretend it’s a type of eggs Benedict.

I was introduced to Gardenburgers by my favorite store, Costco. For a couple of months now the Kalispell Costco has not carried them, much to my dismay. I kept waiting, hoping they would come back as items often do.

Finally, in desperation, I took action. Every time I was asked at check out “Did you find everything?” I answered with a resounding “no” and gave my pitch for the return of Gardenburgers. I dropped a note in the suggestion box. I posted on Costco’s Facebook page. I got nowhere.

Last week I was in Costco and they had a demo stand offering a taste of Morningstar Veggie Burgers, the item that had replaced Gardenburgers. I tried them but did not care for them. My frustration grew.

Next I went on the internet and Googled Gardenburgers. I filled out a customer service form asking how I could get Gardenburgers back in my Costco. The reply I got in return was rather baffling. They suggested I try Morningstar. Dim wit that I am, I wrote back asking “Why are you pushing another product? Aren’t you profit motivated?”

I couldn’t get it out of my mind, Gardenburger suggesting I buy Morningstar. Why would they do that I asked myself? The answer came to me. They might do it if the same company owned them. Sure enough, a little further Googling revealed both companies are owned by Kellogg. I didn’t mind so much Morningstar but that Kellogg owns Gardenburger felt like a betrayal.

A little more research found this article by the Organic Consumers Association  (I wish people would date their articles). If you’re interested Google “Kellogg’s and GMO’s to read more about their attitude on the subject.

I’m not an organic foods fanatic but I do include them in my diet whenever possible. I do have trust issues with big business ethics. I think corporations can and will rationalize just about anything to make a buck. I don’t know why Kellogg is pushing Morningstar over Gardenburger but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with my best interests.

All I can say is “Costco, don’t bother getting Gardenburgers back in your freezer. I won’t be buying them or Morningstar’s from here on out.”


©Kinsey Barnard

No comments: