06 June 2011

KIKOMUN Provincial Park - British Columbia

One of the very handy things about living where I do is that I can get to Canada, British Columbia, in about fifteen minutes.

Yesterday morning was really a stunner so, still reeling from my website debacle, I decided to treat myself and Koty to a trip to Kikomun Provencial Park. I love this little park and it's a scant thirty miles from my home.

The park has a number of small lakes but my favorite is Surveyor Lake. There is a trail that loops around the entire lake and two beaches for people to launch their watercraft or just hang in an awesomely beautiful landscape. Koty and I probably spent two hours strolling the trail and taking in the sites. During that brief time I saw a loon, a pair of mergansers, numerous mallards, a great blue heron, a woodpecker, and a slew of painted turtles.

Another special feature of this lake and trail is the Canadian Rocky backdrop one can see from the west end of the lake, just spectacular.

Below are photos of some of the wonders that we saw.

A couple of redheaded mergansers out for a paddle.

Unfortunately, this loon was a bit far afield for my lens but I couldn't resist "shooting" it anyway. Loons are one of my most favorite birds. Not only is plumage design extraordinary but it's call is simply alluring. It is one of my most favorite sounds in all of creation.
The Surveyor lake water is crystal clear. This photo was taken of the lake bottom right through the water.


The view across Surveyor Lake to the Canadian Rockies, more precisely these mountains are called the Kootenay Rockies.

Painted turtles lined up on a log taking in the sun.

This was as much of the paint job as I could get a picture of from any of these turtles. Painted turtles are usually pretty shy guys and dive in the water at any sound or disturbance.
I nearly forgot to mention, the wildflowers were starting to bloom. If there is such a thing as a wild snap dragon then that's what this is. I'll have to look it up to make certain.

Mornings like this one are what life is all about for me. Imagine, I can be in and drink up this wonderland in a matter of minutes. I am one lucky ducky!

©Kinsey Barnard

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderland

David said...

You are one lucky ducky! Truer words were never said.

Anonymous said...

Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a reasonable price?
Cheers, I appreciate it!
my site :: ereaders