27 August 2007

THE VET, LAKE KOOCANUSA & A CHEROKEE TALE



Well, my mom sure snookered me this morning. She asked me if I wanted to "go". That's about as dumb a question as "Do ducks fly?". But, I humored her by doing my spinning thing and other whirling dervish moves to indicate me approval. Away we went.

The next thing I know I'm in the vet's office. I used to like going there because the people are nice and I like people. Not anymore! I finally figured out those sweet smiling faces always mean somebody is going to stick something in me. Admittedly, today wasn't too bad. What I got was bordetella nose drops. Usually, this is what you get for kennel cough before you get boarded. But, mom makes me take it because we travel so much and no telling whose nose I'll be bumping into. I generally bump into all the noses I can find!

I must admit, I was pretty good about the whole thing so my reward was a trip to a trail we know over at Rexford. This trail takes you along a bluff overlooking Lake Koocanusa. You can also take side trails down to the water if you want. I want. So, we went.

Mom, calls the Koocanusa the lake "of many faces". You just never know what it's going to look like.

Lake Koocanusa


Oh, nearly forgot, mom asked me to include this story she got today from an old school chum. It's a Native American tale called "Two Wolves" and it goes like this.........

" One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all..

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Lotsa wisdom in that story don't you think?

Until next time.........

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments: