28 October 2010

Wolf Sighting

Here in northwest Montana we are in that place between fall and winter when just about anything can happen weather wise. Here at the ranch we have a little snow on the ground and the temperatures have dipped below freezing.

Yesterday afternoon Koty and I took a walk in the woods. It was a little on the cool side but that's the way we like it. It's Montana hunting season so we try to pick our time. Early morning and late afternoon are obviously out. Lunch time can be a little tricky because a lot of guys come out to try their luck. So we try and pick a time between two and four. I was born and raised a hunter and was pretty darned good at it. These days I have no heart for killing.  I prefer to shoot with a camera and I now root for the game.  :)

During hunting season we always dress in our orange vests lest we become targets ourselves. I meant to get a photo of Lakota in his but I forgot. I'll have to remedy that.

Our wildlife sighting for the day was a gray wolf. As usual, he saw us before we saw him and was off into the woods like a gray ghost. Such moments are what make my day. It is always nice to capture a good image but just to see these wild creatres is good enough for me. Of course Koty, once he caught on, was quite excited himself but he is always on a leash when we are out. Koty is a Siberian Husky but these wolves are at least twice as big as he. Koty looks a lot like a wolf but he'd be no match for the real deal.


It turned out to be a glorious afternoon and we didn't see a single hunter. I call this a betwixed and between time because there is a little bit of fall and a little bit of winter in the landscape, an entirely lovely time.






"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it" ...... Henry David Thoreau



FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments: