30 August 2012

BEAR STORY

This is a very short bear story. Last night a marauding bear came up on my deck and had at my Baby Weber. I've got a big old honking gas grill which I never use. Charcoal is the only way to BBQ for this old dame.

I've read where bears will go after your grill if you leave it out. My Baby Weber has sat out on the deck for ten years without anyone bothering it. Well, now I believe it. Actually, I always did but it wasn't anything to bother about as far as I'm concerned.

This is a short story and I only bother to tell it because these are the things that texture my life in this place. Such occurrences light up my day with wonder and gratitude. To have wild things as a part of my daily life is a gift beyond measure.

I forgot to mention that when I returned from the Promptcare place to get my stitches the other day I nearly ran into a beautiful young black bear. His coat was simply exquisite. It looked like pure sable. He ran down the road in front of me going about thirty and then darted into the forest. No chance you would ever out run a bear.



©Kinsey Barnard

3 comments:

Rilly said...

There's something about ones first experience with a bear in the wilds of Alaska that far surpasses those in the zoo you grew up with and thought it couldn't get any better than that. I most certainly can.

Walker said...

I know what you mean Rilly. I just love living in an environment where the wild things are part of the landscape. Can't thank of anyone I would rather have for neighbors. :)

Victoria Williams said...

At least it was a "baby grill". Amazing that you could leave it out for 10 years untouched.