21 February 2013

SMALL VICTORIES

In puppy raising, as well as life, you have to take your victories whenever and wherever the gods deem to gift you. Last night Molly and I had a small victory. We still had intermittent whining but we made it though the night with one outing at three. At six we went out and Molly did her business like a pro. No messing in the crate. The ultimate victory will be all of the above without any whining.

No doubt about it, raising a puppy is not for the faint of heart. So far life with Molly has been pretty challenging. There must be a reason 64 year old women can't have children. The good news about puppies; they grow up pretty fast and before long all the puppy problems and challenges are forgotten.

Before Molly goes to meet Koty across that Rainbow Bridge, I could well be 80 years old. I think it's safe to say this will be my last puppy.  At that point I will adopt a more mature dog. I don't see myself without a dog as long as I am capable of being a reliable guardian. Damn, I am one puppy away from old age.

I actually thought I would adopt this time. There are so many good and loving dogs that need a home. In the end I just couldn't resist the puppy challenge. Man am I a glutton for punishment. :)

I have been doing a lot of research on the internet looking for a training program that resonated with me. I think I've found it. It's called The Dog Training Secret. It's a hands off approach based on positive reinforcement. 

Oops! I didn't notice Molly was awake. She made a mistake. She still isn't asking to be let out. She needs to go out whenever she wakes. Molly is like smoke. One minute she's there and the next she has simply disappeared.

Todays' Photos






No comments: