03 May 2008

SPRING IS IN THE AIR!








Yesterday, was a beauty so we decided to take a ride over to the Koocanusa. I'm not sure if I have told you the story behind the name of the lake so for those who may have missed it.... It's kind of corny but the story is this; The Koocanusa runs about 90 miles from Montana (USA) into British Columbia (CAN). The lake is situated in the Kootenai National Forest and is fed by the Kootenai River. I think you can get the picture.

On the way out we saw a pot load of Mule Deer. This one ranch must have 150 of them lolling around. No fawns yet.

Over at the Koocanusa the reservoir has really been drained low. I thought it was low last year but it's even lower this year. So much sand has been exposed that when the wind comes up the valley looks like the Dust Bowl.

After hiking around the lake we took off just looking for whatever we could see. The first thing were some long horn cows that had just given birth and one cow just about to pop. They were really beautiful there in the pasture. At the same ranch was this horse that reminded my mom of one from her childhood. His name was Black Boy. This fella was a black boy alright!

Good news! Mom finally got a photo of a wood duck. Bad news! The lens she was using wasn't long enough to get a good look.

It was a beautiful spring day here in Montana and we enjoyed every minute of it! Looks like spring might be here for real this time!

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

4 comments:

S-V-H said...

I like the black horse! Nice pictures.I'm glad, spring is arrived up there too.:-)

Robin Easton said...

Oh these are SO beautiful my friend. Such excellent work. I am so glad that you are warmer now, and able to get out and enjoy the spring. It's such beautiful land where you are. Simply gorgeous. I really enjoyed this post and have missed visiting you. I've been swamped with work and had a rather disastrous week or so. You can read about it on my last post. http://nakedineden.com/nakedinedenblog/
I've missed our contact. Don't like when things get this busy. Will get back to you on your emails, have a couple of ideas for you. SO loved hearing from you.

SkyNymph said...

Namaste' Kinsey and Koty, what beautiful pictures and that black horse OH MY!!!!!!!! that is the horse of my dreams since childhood, I love to ride! and think one day life will bring such a horse into my life ;0) that is one of the most beautiful horses I have seen in a long time and you truloy captured that animals essence there. Really enjoyed seeing anothers spring starting to well...spring.

wonderful
metta
sky

Azure Accessories said...

Amazing scenery! The Koocanusa Lake looks so peaceful...and that black horse...is beautiful!!!