23 August 2009

WEST KOOTENAI-AMISH COUNTRY

Things were pretty tranquil around the ranch this week. The usual visits by the whitetail. I have seen a couple of mule deer and that is a sure sign that fall is in the air.

WHITETAIL BUCK


WHITETAIL BUCK

SUNSET

The Tobacco Valley is divided by Lake Koocanusa. On the west side is what is called the West Kootenai. It's mostly Kootenai National Forest but there is an Amish settlement there. We decided to take a drive over in that direction to see what we might find.

SULLIVAN CREEK

On the way we stopped at Sullivan Creek which is still running good despite the lateness of the season.

AMISH BARN


AMISH BARN

The area is quite picturesque sporting bucolic and pastoral (that's redundant) scenes. Unfortunately, this day was pretty much cloudless and uninteresting from a photographic pint of view. I really am not a fan of summer when it comes to photography. Photography is all about light and summertime offers the least interesting light in my opinion. Although, I'm sure plenty would argue that point.


MONTANA WOODWORKS


MONTANA WOODWORKS

For quite some time I have been wanting to replace the stool I use in my mudroom to put my boots on. The one I have been using is over forty years old and about to collapse. I have looked everywhere for a replacement but all I could find were bar stools.

I figured since I was in the neighborhood I would stop in at Montana Woodworks and have them just make me one. It's quite handy to have them close by. They make really lovely log furniture and you may have seen it at Costco. They ship all over the country.

FUNGI


FUNGI

After leaving the village we took a hike up the Lower Sullivan Creek Trail. I was hoping it would take us along the creek but it took us straight up the mountain. There was very little to shoot. There were lots of signs of Fall though. Won't be long now.

KOTY BEAR

©KINSEY BARNARD PHOTOGRAPHY

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fungi, Interesting stuff isn't it. One day it just shows up, at least the fungi we get here in Michigan does. I often wonder what was brewing before it appeared!

WeekendCowgirl said...

Visited West K across river from Rexford yesterday in the Amish village. Why is nearly every place for sale? Even some of Amish property for sale. I have never seen practically an entire town for sale before. Thinking there has to be a reason.
I love your site.
If you can answer my guestion can you go to my website and hit the little email bottlecap on top right and email me??!!

Susan Graham said...

That’s great! I just tried it out and already found a new domain. It’s a really quick search. Thanks!