02 August 2009

ISLAND LAKE - BRITSIH COLUMBIA

It continues to be rather warm here in Northwest Montana so when I was conjuring up a little photographic junket my thoughts ran to a “secret” place I discovered a several years ago. It will become clear why I use parens around the word secret a little later on.

As mentioned before, I am not a big fan of the heat. Whilst pondering somewhere to go I thought of Island Lake in British Columbia near Fernie in the Kootenai Rockies. Sounds like a big junket but for us it’s less than an hour’s drive. Unless someone told you about it you probably wouldn’t find it. Since my stock in trade is to drive down every road I have not traveled before, I find stuff.

On the way up I stopped to try and photograph this old barn but the power lines were everywhere so things didn't work out.

Along the road to Fernie

Whilst I was trying this little fellow came by to see what I was up to. There was a time when horses were my whole world and they still make my old heart go pitter-patter.

Peanut gallery

Out standing in their field

To get to Island Lake you drive through a Provincial Park and an 800 year old cedar forest. I’m uncertain as to the elevation gain but it is quite considerable, making it ideal for getting away from the heat. The drive was really gorgeous this day as the wildflowers were out in force.

Wildflower Bouquet

Meadows of Flowers

Giant Cedars and Wildflowers

Once you get up to the top you discover a beautiful lodge where you can stay if you are so inclined. There is also a restaurant that serves lunch. The fare is fairly stoic and spendy. Koty and I are more the eat in the woods sort so we packed a little lunch to eat on the trail.

Island Lake Lodge

And trails there are aplenty, which is the real reason we like this place. Well, that and the fact it is so gorgeous and peaceful.

Island Lake

One can wander around all day on the trails. It was so cool and beautiful that's exactly what we did!

Kootenai Rockies

Now to get back to the reason I put parens around the word secret. As we were driving back down the mountain we pulled over to let a car pass and since we both had our windows down we stopped to chat. The gals in the car, both from Fernie, advised me that Island Lake had been listed in National Geographics June issue of Traveler as one of the top places on the planet to stay. Island Lake Lodge

Thank goodness it doesn't seem to have changed things much. There were only about five cars in the lot and the trails remained relatively empty. It's always been a special place to me and I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for natural beauty galore and serenity.

This next bit it not so serene but I find the photographs to be extraordinary so
I’ll leave you today with these images of Krakatoa erupting. Hell hath no fury like Mother Nature scorned. Krakatoa Erupting

Whist doing a little research on Krakatoa I came across this painting by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch.

The Scream by Edvard Munch circa 1883

Some theorize the painting was a depiction of the Krakatoa eruption in 1883. Actually, I think it quite accurately depicts my reaction to what the current administration is doing to this country. No joke.

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

2 comments:

Michelle B. Hendry said...

The photos this round are spectacular! Some of your best....

Walker said...

Michelle:
In my opinion they are fairly pedestrian images but I'm glad you liked them.