19 September 2010

Yellowstone-The Lamar River Valley

If you hang a left, heading south from the North Entrance, at the Roosevelt Lodge you'll be on your way to the Lamar River Valley. Lamar is truly a breathtaking river valley.


Lamar River

The landscape was practically overrun with bison. I don't think I've ever seen so many in the park.



It's not so much that the bison are exotic wild animals it's more about a feeling, at least for me. When I see them out on the range I can't help but get all dewy-eyed, reflecting on days gone by. I know, I am a sap.



I think there were nearly as many fisherman on the Lamar River as there were bison on the range. The Lamar River is a beauty but I wasn't able to find a place where I could get any kind of a shot that I liked. I'm still struggling with that darned sprained ankle. It has really put a crimp in my style. The photo that follows is the best I could do. Maybe another time.




I stopped in at the Lamar Ranger Station because it looked kind of interesting, all old log cabins, barns and out buildings.

Barn at Lamar Ranger Station

I pulled in and parked. There didn't seem to be a soul around but I heard some pounding going on in the barn. I have very old fashioned ideas about men. The one I found in this barn was one tall drink of cool water and he had the baritone voice to go with it. Turned out he was readying his equipment for a pack trip into the back country. At my age men are more of a nuisance than anything else but I must say, I would have ridden off with this one in a Minnesota minute. :)

This lucky devil is probably going to get to go!



This last photo is of the barn again. I'm just throwing it in because I like the lines and tones of the image.


Speaking of images; I have been absolutely amazed at the number of people I see taking photos directly into the sun. The chances of getting a photo you'll want to look at shooting into the sun are slim and none. I realize it doesn't cost anything to trash a digital image but it sure makes for a lot of needless work. People, get that sun behind you! And then watch out your shadow isn't in the frame.


Yellowstone National Park - Images by Kinsey Barnard

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's the cool drink of water? Humans make
good subjects too! Maybe next tme? How about a cowboy calendar?