24 August 2011

Wolverine-Ten Lakes Scenic Area

 August 16, 2011

One of my favorite places is Ten Lakes Scenic Area and one of my favorite hikes is the hike to Wolverine Lake. Usually, people are celebrating 4th of July at the Terriault Lakes campgrounds but not this year. It was well after the fourth before the road was clear all the way to the lakes. It was even later to get in to Wolverine. I have been told by the ski mobile people that at one time they had to dig down eight feet to get to the cabin that is at Wolverine. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the cabin because I forgot to take one. But, It's in great shape with a brand new roof!

On this particular outing I had the great good fortune to have my friend Nick hike with me. Nick is from California and I wanted to share with him what I think is a very special place.

Nick takes a pic of Little Terriault Lake


I told Nick it was only a forty five minute hike up to Wolverine. I don't know where I got that idea because it took us more like and hour and a half. The trail is a truly lovely one wandering through forest shade and sunny fields of wildflowers.

Nick & Koty take a break amongst the wildflowers
Wolverine Lake is, in my opinion, one of the loveliest little lakes anywhere. The water is so clear you can watch the fish leisurely swim by. And the water color changes from deep blue to turquoise depending on the light. Sheer granite walls rise up in front of you in a rather dramatic sort of way. They even still had a dab of snow left on them. Utterly amazing for the middle of August.

I don't know how I managed it but I got water spots on my lens and wrecked this image but I'm putting it in here anyway because it will at least give you an idea how pretty and dramatic a landscape it is. All of the photos here were taken with a little Panasonic point and shoot. I left the big dogs home for probably the first time in my life.

Nick at Wolverine Lake
I had prepared a picnic lunch for us and we ate in total beauty and solitude. It was a real treat to share this spot with someone who had an equal appreciation for the beauty and grandeur of it.

Lunch Break

We had the lake all to ourselves for our time there and that was great good luck because as we returned down the trail we met two groups on their way up to camp. If you are ever in the area and you have the time, it's around thirty miles on a mostly a dirt and gravel road to the trailhead, I highly recommend a walk up to Wolverine. Unlike Glacier, you won't find a lot of tourists here.

©Kinsey Barnard

No comments: