27 June 2012

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS


Whilst Colorado and other western states are literally burning up, in northwest Montana we are having a particularly wet monsoon. I have already had over thirty inches here at the ranch.

Yesterday, I drove down to the Flathead to run errands. I knew it was going to rain but I had no idea how hard. By the time I arrived home the Forest Service road was washed out in several spots. I could only cross my fingers in the hopes my driveway had not washed out too. My rain gauge showed an inch and a quarter had been deposited in my absence. A huge amount in a such a short time on ground already saturated. I've spent considerable time and effort re-engineering the driveway and that work has paid off. My drive came through in perfect shape.

As I look out the window at all the lush green grass and the lush new growth on the forest trees I can't help but count my blessings that here in northwest Montana we have water in abundance. In fact we have much more than we need. Too bad there isn't some way to share it with those western states that are so very dry. It's not fair but then so little in life is.

Whitetail in Tall Grass 06-27-12

Colorado Fires Burning Out of Control
 


©Kinsey Barnard


3 comments:

Rilly said...

I too count my blessings, even as I curse the rain here in the PNW, for I have friends and relatives in Colo. Spgs, who are close to having to make the decision to vacate their homes. So tragic and not a thing I can do.

Michelle B. Hendry said...

It is so awful that everything is in extremes...

Walker said...

It surely is a shame. I've still got water running here that has never run before. I'm probably going to have to take corrective action.