02 April 2010

MONTANA WILDFLOWERS

Springtime brings visions of wildflowers and although they aren't here yet I thought I'd shares some of my favorites from spring and summers past. We are still getting a little snow here in Northwest Montana so it will be awhile.

This first image is of a wild honeysuckle. Honeysuckle are delightfully delicate flowers. This particular one had the good graces to get the light to shine from behind it giving a glowing quality. This photo was taken at Dickie Lake, Montana.

Wild Honeysuckle by Kinsey Barnard
Wild Honeysuckle by Kinsey Barnard


The wood lily is one of my favorite. They too are delicate flowers and they seem to bloom for a very specific period of time which is more or less the month of June. They are like hunting treasure in the forest blow down and when you find one it is like discovering a jewel. This photo was taken in the Kootenai National Forest, Montana

Wood Lily by Kinsey Barnard
Wood Lily by Kinsey Barnard


This next photo is of wild white daisies. In this instance it appears to me as though the flowers have formed into a perfectly natural daisy bouquet. This image was captured at Flathead Lake, Montana

Wild White Daisies by Kinsey Barnard
Wild White Daisies by Kinsey Barnard


I may be pressing my luck with this next photo in terms of whether or not it is a wild flower. It was certainly wild in terms of it's location, along the Whitefish River, but I'm doubtful sunflowers are considered wildflowers. Nevertheless, this sunny flower caught my attention. It reminded me a little of a book I was required to read when I was a kind called The Day of the Triffids. This photo was taken along the Whitefish River near the village of Whitefish, Montana.

Sunflower by Kinsey Barnard
Sunflower by Kinsey Barnard


The pasque flower is a very pretty flower but near as I can tell this image is rare. I had a hard time researching exactly what it was because I couldn't find an image that looked like it. Most photos I found were with the flower open and this little guy is closed up. I found it near Lake Koocanusa, Montana.

Pasque Flower by Kinsey Barnard
Pasque Flower by Kinsey Barnard


Next is a lovely example of a Columbine. It too is a delicate flower and a delight to discover. I found this one in the Kootenai National Forest, Montana. I find lots of things in the Kootenai National Forest because I literally live in it and it covers 2.2 million acres. Oh, boy, what a backyard!

Columbine by Kinsey Barnard
Columbine by Kinsey Barnard


I couldn't resist putting up another wild daisy because I think there is nothing that says spring time and sunshine like they do.

Wild White Daisy by Kinsey Barnard
Wild White Daisy by Kinsey Barnard


So, that's my little offering of spring. These beauties certainly have me filled with anticipation. Koty and I wish you a very Happy Easter! And may the Bunny bring you your fondest desire!

So, tell me, how do you feel about wildflowers?

Life is short. Be inspired!

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks.

What's the first wildflower of the season in Montana? When do you see it?