21 April 2010

Trillium-My First Montana Wildflower for 2010

Koty and I mozied over to the West Kootenai yesterday. The West Kootenai is on the west side of the Koocanusa in the Kootenai National Forest. You'll notice I spend a lot of time in the Kootenai National Forest. This is not hard to do because the forest encompasses 2.2 million acres and I have to go a long way from home to get out of it.

Today was the day that I made my first wildflower siting and it was a white trillium. They are typically the first guys to arrive, blooming from March to May.


The Forest Service has been control burning in the area so it was kind of smokey. I really don't get the Forest Service thinking.  Open burning starts the first of March but they don't start "control" burning until it's nice and dry and warm. And then they just go off and leave the fires burning and unattended. Smokey the Bear would have a fit! Trust me on this, Forest Service "control burns" quite frequently go out of control and I honestly do not wonder why.



My mission was to check out Arnold's Pond but there was barely any water in it and very little of interest. So, I figures to go further on and visit Dodge Creek. Here's a good lesson on why you must always take the shot when it comes your way. Never, ever say "Oh, I'll get it later". The photo below I took last year.

Dodge Creek - Montana by Kinsey Barnard
Dodge Creek - Montana by Kinsey Barnard


Nice photo I think. But, check out what it looked like yesterday!


We ended up taking a walk down FS 303. I wanted to walk to Young's Creek but the old ankle started squawking and I had to turn back after only a couple of miles. I didn't have my map with me but I think I was quite close. I'll have to go back and check it out. I couldn't resist taking this self-portrait. LOL! I look like a plump stump!


I also found on the road before me this little caterpillar. He was traversing the road when I found him but when I stuck my camera in his face he promptly showed me what he thought of my rudeness by curling up. Very clear body language message.


On the way home I stopped on the Rexford Bridge, I think that's what it's called, and took this photo. I thought it was a cool perspective. But, then I'm not paid to think. :)


So, that was our little junket to the West Kootenai. We'll be coming back real soon!

Check out The Liberated Photographer

©Kinsey Barnard Phtography

If you like our little blog please feel free to share.

2 comments:

Holly Days Closet said...

I always love you photos. You live in wonderful place.
Holly

Walker said...

Thanks Holly! I'm glad you enjoy the site and appreciate your comments!