11 August 2010

Aspen

*

When I was a kid my father used to take me packing into the High Sierras. The night before we headed out was spent at Silver Lake, which was surrounded by Aspen. My first trip was when I was five years old and my father would tell me they were "quaking" aspen and a bunch of stories about them that I don't remember. Those were the days when my love of the mountains was born.

So, today I'm thinking of aspens so here are some photos of these marvelous trees.


The above was taken on a cattle ranch here in northwest Montana.


This photo was taken in the West Kootenai, along  Big Creek where the trees intermingle with cottonwoods, cedar and mountain maple.


Even their trunks make for interesting viewing. This photo is of an old wound that is now hosting some lichen riders. I love these natural designs.


This is another example of aspen bark hosting lichen. I find this extraordinarily beautiful.


But, of course, the thing aspen are most noted for is their annual fall performance when they single handedly turn the landscape into a riot of color. This photograph was taken at Banff National Park Alberta Canada.


This little copse was standing on the Shore of Dickey Lake which is a the entrance to the Tobacco Valley.


This last image is one of my favorites. It reminds me of a Monet painting. It was taken at Surveyor Lake, Kikomun Provincial Park, British Columbia. Check out "Monet Aspen" and all my paintings on water canvas.

Be sure and visit The Liberated Photographer

©Kinsey Barnard

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last one really is gorgeous! Spectacular color.

Heather said...

You really do have a way with the reflection photos, always so gorgeous!

Very interesting design on the trunk and love the shot of the Lichen.