04 August 2010

Fiber Optics-Rural Utilities

When I purchased my Valhalla eight years ago I expected that I would have to give up some of the technological conveniences of the "other world".  Living, as I do, on a unmaintained, single track Forest Service road in the Kootenai National Forest. I wasn't even sure I would have much in the way of internet service. But, I didn't care. The property that I purchased was so incredible any convenience sacrifice was acceptable. I soon discovered that I was able to have as good internet service as I had in Durango, CO. Frankly, I was amazed.

Welcome to the world of rural, co-op utilities. Believe me, it's a whole new world. People come running when you have trouble and I mean right now. But, even more amazing is the way they maintain and upgrade equipment. The past few weeks Inter-bel, my phone co-operative, has been bringing fiber optics to my mountain!

When I first learned of this I wasn't any to excited as it appeared they would be digging up all over my property. I even told the fellow who came to map out a line route that I was perfectly happy with things as they were. I was informed if I didn't get on board I would eventually have no service as the old copper lines were to be eventually abandoned.  I was assured that everything would be returned to it's original condition. I was thinking "Yeah, sure, where have I heard that before!"

Going Where Mountain Goats Fear To Tread
A few weeks ago I heard the dread sound of heavy equipment moving up the mountain. Without going into all the details it was a traumatic couple of weeks but now that it's all done I can't help but be impressed not only with my phone co-operative but with the company they contracted with to do the work, Track Utilities out of Meridian, Idaho.


Laying The Cable

Not only am I now wired for fiber optics but my property is none the worse for the wear. Oh, there were some rough spots like when they up rooted my fence trying to avoid cutting old lines. I nearly threw a fit. Well, actually, I did throw a fit. As luck would have it Shane Mace,  owner of Track, was there and assured me everything would be fixed good as new and it was. Not only was Shane often seen working side by side with his men but he also turned out to be a man of his word. Where do you find that anymore? Here's a man who leads by example and a more professional bunch I have not run into in a very long time.

And, hats off to Inter-Bel for having the foresight and pluck to get this project on the board. And, for choosing the absolute right contractor to get the job done.

Like I keep saying "God, how I love Montana!"

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

2 comments:

Dave said...

This kind of leader is a jewel of great value. I wish we had them in government and every place they are needed.

As luck would have it Shane Mace, owner of Track, was there and assured me everything would be fixed good as new and it was. Not only was Shane often seen working side by side with his men but he also turned out to be a man of his word. Where do you find that anymore? Here's a man who leads by example and a more professional bunch I have not run into in a very long time.

Heather said...

Wow, you really got lucky with a great company. I have been impressed with our local rural electric co-op. They came out at 10pm to get the power back on. We was only out of power just under two hours.

Glad they left it nearly like they found it.