12 November 2008

SAN XAVIER MISSION - TOHONO O'ODHAM TRIBE



We haven't even started our preliminary research into the area let alone started to map out places we would like to try and shoot so we just got in the car and headed south on HWY 19 just for fun.

Not very far down the road we saw off in the distance a gleaming white structure which turned out to be San Xavier Mission on the San Xavier Indian Reservation. We swung onto the exit to take a closer look.



The mission is quite impressive. We didn't go inside because it was too hot to leave the Koty Bear in the car so we just walked the grounds. If you'd like to see a photo of the inside, it's quite beautiful, you can see one here



There is a small hill you can walk up to where a grotto is guarded by two impressive rather regal lions.



Whilst wandering the little hill I got my first up close an personal view of some native plant life. I am so looking forward to photographing the interesting plants here. Everything is so different from what I see in the Rockies. This character is a barrel cactus, I believe of the fish hook variety. I've got a lot of learning to do.



The Indian tribe that inhabits this reservation is called the Tohono O'odham. More about them can be found here. I always find these roadside graves interesting and this one was just along the road on the reservation. If you look real close you will see a little dog figurine. I wondered if it was a dog buried there or a little person who loved a dog.



Cemeteries always intrigued me and I was especially intrigued by this one on the reservation. The graves were all decked out and the American flag was flying, I imagine in honor of Veterans Day. Made me think of the sad story of that brave man Ira Hays. Thanks be to all those who have given so much so we could enjoy a freedom the politicians seem bent on taking away.

Ciao for now,
Koty & Kinsey

©Kinsey Barnard Photography

1 comment:

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Amazing building.... Wow!
Hopefully that era of politicians is all but over...